- Don't stuff the turkey with the dressing, as it absorbs much of the fat.
Bake it in a covered casserole instead.
- Roast the turkey on a rack so the fat drips away from the bird.
- Use a fat separator for the roasting pan juices and skim off all fat
before making the gravy.
- Use a dry package of turkey gravy mix for added flavor and thickening
- Make pumpkin pies with canned, evaporated, skimmed milk.
- Use half the amount of sugar in the recipe - SUBSTITUTE BROWN SUGAR FOR
THE WHITE, as it's more flavorful.
- Use more spices than the recipe suggests. I double the amount.
- Use light or fat free whipped topping.
- Mash the potatoes with chicken broth and canned, evaporated, skimmed
milk. HOLD THE BUTTER - NO ONE WILL NOTICE!
- Use pineapple and/or orange juice thickened with corn starch as a glaze
for carrots or sweet potatoes. (Add a pinch of pumpkin pie spice to the
- Sprinkle hot vegetables with dill for flavor instead of butter.
- Don't skip meals before the big meal that day. You'll be too hungry and
may overeat. Treat it as a regular day - 3 meals.
- Begin the meal with a salad. You'll eat less during dinner.
- After dinner, go for a long walk!
For more information go to:
Healthy Holiday Recipe- Apple Cranberry Squash
1 pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1
2 Jonathan or Macintosh apples, peeled, cored and chopped
1 cup cranberries, thawed if frozen
unsalted butter, melted
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place squash in a steamer
basket over boiling water. Cover saucepan and steam 15 minutes or until
Remove from steamer basket and set aside.
Combine apples and
half the sugar in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Cook 12 minutes stirring
frequently until juice has evaporated. Add apples to squash.
cranberries and remaining sugar in same saucepan. Cook 4 minutes or until
liquid has evaporated. Add cranberries to apples and squash. Stir in melted
butter and salt to taste and toss. Transfer mixture to a buttered shallow
baking dish. Bake 10 minutes or until hot.
Makes 4 servings
*For more healthy holiday recipes please visit: